ATAVIR Capsules are indicated, in combination with other antiretroviral agents, for the treatment of HIV-1 infection.
ATAVIR Capsules..... Container of 30 capsules
- ATAVIR Capsules must be taken with food.
- The recommended oral dosage of ATAVIR Capsules depends on the treatment history of the patient and the use of other co-administered drugs. When co-administered with H 2 -receptor antagonists, or proton-pump inhibitors, dose separation may be required (see dose recommendations below).
- When co-administered with didanosine buffered or enteric-coated formulations, ATAVIR Capsules should be given (with food) 2 hours before or 1 hour after didanosine.
- ATAVIR Capsules without ritonavir are not recommended for treatment-experienced patients with prior virologic failure.
- Efficacy and safety of atazanavir with ritonavir in doses greater than 100 mg once daily have not been established. The use of higher ritonavir doses might alter the safety profile of atazanavir (cardiac effects, hyperbilirubinemia) and, therefore, is not recommended. Prescribers should consult the complete prescribing information for ritonavir when using this agent.